Eating Vegan in Restaurants
By: Macy Jenks
- Check if any dishes have a vegetarian or vegan symbol.
- Look for dishes that have vegetables, tofu, and/or fake meat.
- Remove meat, eggs, or dairy from a dish, if necessary.
- Look at the sides.
- If all else fails, ask the server.
Types of Restaurants
- Noodle dishes without eggs and meat (usually you can get tofu instead)
- Vegetable curry dishes
Watch out for fish paste and oyster sauce
- Hummus, Baba Ghanoush
- Falafel (most of the time it is vegan)
- Sharing plates and salads without cheese
- Vegetable dumplings (make sure there are no eggs in the dumpling wrap)
- Vegetable or tofu dishes
- Vegetable or tofu soup noodle dishes (make sure there is not meat in the broth)
- Veggie sushi (ex. Avocado roll, cucumber roll, etc.)
- Vegetable curries
Watch out for Cheese(paneer), Yogurt, Butter(ghee)
- Noodles with tomato sauce (make sure they were not cooked in butter)
- Beans and rice (make sure they were not cooked in lard)
- Chips and guacamole or salsa
- Vegetable tacos and burritos (ask for no cheese)
Happy Vegan Dining!