Created by: Brennan McConnell-Griner
Total prep + cook time: 45 mins
Serves: 4-6 people
Spice level: Medium
2/3 cup pink Masoor lentils
2 2/3 cups water
2 tomatoes (chopped)
1 onion (chopped)
2 teaspoons salt
Cook above items in pressure cooker for two steams (if you have a pressure cooker that steams, rests, and steams again) or for 15 minutes with a consistent steam. Allow to cool. When ready, loosen top.
4 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 inch ginger (chopped)
1 whole dry chili
1 stem curry leaf (Can find at small Indian grocery stores)
1/2 teaspoon black mustard seed
1/2 teaspoon grey cumin seed
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 tablespoon oil
Cilantro leaves (for garnish)
* Place a small “fry” bowl over a low flame.
* Place oil and mustard seeds in the bowl.
* When seeds start popping… add chili, garlic, ginger & cumin seeds.
* When the garlic begins to brown, add curry leaf, then turmeric.
* Remove fry bowl from flame, and immerse bowl and contents into cooked lentil mix. Hold pressure cooker lid over the pot to catch the steam and flavors. You should notice a smoky, rich flavor in the steam that escapes.
* Dal is ready to serve and is nice with cilantro as a garnish.